One More Reason to Eat Vegetables


Photo Courtesy Krumdieck, Morguefile.
Think of that salad or side of brussels sprouts as an extra nudge towards a smoke-free life.

As a writer, I do lots of reading. This morning I came across an article on Futurity claiming that eating vegetables makes the taste for tobacco less appealing. This is fantastic news for smokers implementing a healthier lifestyle.

“We knew from our previous work that people who were abstinent from cigarettes for less than six months consumed more fruits and vegetables than those who still smoked," explained Gary A. Giovino, chair of the Department of Community Health and Health Behavior at the University at Buffalo in the Futurity article. "What we didn’t know was whether recent quitters increased their fruit and vegetable consumption or if smokers who ate more fruits and vegetables were more likely to quit.”

Here are a few key points from the article:

Smokers who ate more fruits and vegetables...
  •  smoked fewer cigarettes per day and scored lower on a common test of nicotine dependence
  •  were three times more likely to be tobacco-free after 14 months than those who didn't eat an increase in produce
  •  feel more full from the increase in fiber consumption. Some smokers confuse hunger for the need for a cigarette.
*Futurity reports on scientific discoveries by researchers at universities in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

PS: Follow me on Twitter @AngelaTague to see what I've been up to!

###

6 comments:

  1. Fascinating information. My husband has smoked for nearly 60 years and has cut down considerably with the help of England's National Help program. He's the cook and always serves plenty of vegetables. Not sure if he eats more than before, but he eats plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely good info to share. I think I saw the headline for this article on Twitter but didn't read it. My father in-law passed away from lung cancer and was a smoker. This was 20+ years ago but I use him as an example for my kids. To warn them of the dangers of smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is one article I would like to pass on to a friend in my office. (he needs it real bad)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic information! I find it to be interesting and promising at the same time. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a smoker (never inhaled), but I surely know a few. Informative post!

    Love the colorful veggie background on your blog.

    Congratulations on the Kreativ Blog Award. Amy gave it to me too. Wanna see who I picked to receive it next? Check out my choices!

    Blessings,
    Linda Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very interesting..... I should pass this on to a friend at work who is trying to quit smoking.....

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.