|Photo Credit: SXC|
This morning I made the lofty decision to soak and prepare 3 pounds of the protein-packed little buggers. Yes, 3 pounds!
As a vegetarian, beans are a whole foods staple. They fill me up, keep me healthy and are fat-free. If you don't add beans to your menu very often, what are you waiting for? They're incredibly versatile and inexpensive. I purchase a 1 lb bag of dried black beans at the grocery store for a dollar. So, are you ready to indulge?
13 Ways to Love Black Beans
1. Make a three bean salad topped with a sour vinegar dressing.
2. Whip up a batch of black bean brownies.
3. Toss black beans into your favorite pasta salad recipes.
4. Simmer a pot of spicy black bean soup on a rainy day.
5. Make chili!
6. Mash cooked black beans, add cumin, garlic and fresh lime juice for delicious refried beans.
7. Create an enchilada casserole with a layer of spiced black beans.
8. Blend chilled corn, chopped tomatoes and black beans for a simple Mexican side salad.
9. Mix black beans into seasoned rice for a classic beans n' rice vegetarian meal.
10. Use black beans in lieu of ground beef next time you make tacos or burritos.
11. Puree black beans with a splash of olive oil and chopped garlic for a creamy bean dip.
12. Add black beans to your favorite tomato salsa recipe.
13. Sprinkle black beans atop a green salad for extra protein.
So, how do you like to eat black beans? Make me hungry in the comments below!
Until Next Time,
Whole Foods Living