Whole Foods Laxative Smoothie Recipe

Photo credit: Robert Gourley, Flickr
A few weeks ago I had surgery. In my discharge papers, the nurse highlighted my need for extra rest. Apparently my bowels got the message loud and clear too.

If you've ever been put under with anesthesia or taken narcotic painkillers, you know they can slow things down in your body.

Simply said, you can't make bowel movements very easily after surgery.

My nurse recommended sipping a mug of warmed prune juice to stay regular during my recovery. I loved this natural, non-medicinal option and gave it a try. 

After several mugs of juice, things were moving. Slowly. Too slowly.

So, I decided to add a little fiber and see if I could make a gentle, nutritious morning smoothie to keep me regular. (I know, this isn't the sexiest of topics, but it is helpful for those who need it!!) Here's what worked for me!

Simple Laxative Smoothie

  • 2 cups spinach, raw and washed
  • 1 cup prune juice, pure without sugar added
  • 1/2 cucumber (about 1 cup chopped)
Place all three ingredients into the blender and combine until smooth. The prune juice adds a refreshing sweetness to the spinach. 

Plus, this combination is full of vitamin C, potassium and fiber to help get your digestive system back on track.

Do you have an all-natural concoction, food, drink or smoothie you use to stay regular? Tell me about it in the comments below. I'm always looking for ways to stay healthy without the need for a pharmacy.

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

6 comments:

  1. Is it safe for pregnancy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent question. Your physician would be best equipped to answer that question. I am not a doctor.

      Delete
  2. Can j just add spinach n cucumber without prunes for the juice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prune juice is really the key ingredient here. If you don't want to make a smoothie, just snack on whole prunes.

      Delete
  3. how does it taste? does it taste gross or is it hard to drink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it tastes sweet. It's pretty easy to drink if you're used to green smoothies!

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.