Feeling a Little Pickled?


Homemade pickles! Photo by Angela Tague
These hot, rainy summer days have made my garden spiral out of control. The acorn squashes are all ripening at once. My tomato row is speckled with red and yellow orbs of deliciousness and the cukes--oh the cukes!

Over the weekend I spent a few hours creating a new pickling recipe to use up my wealth of cucumbers. The first batch I made was too tart. I love pickles, but not when they make me pucker like a blow fish.

My next batch was much better. Instead of following a recipe, I decided to wing it. I started with 2 cups of white vinegar, 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill, 2 teaspoons of diced garlic and 1 cup of raw sugar.

Warning: Raw sugar will turn your brine a pretty/dingy/uncommon caramel color.

After a good stirring to dissolve the sugar, I gave the pickling liquid a taste. It was a touch sweet so I added maybe another 1/2 cup of white vinegar. The pickles are in the fridge now. Hopefully they will be delicious in just a few days!

Have you been making pickles too? What are your tips and tricks? And while we're at it, what should I do with my impending bumper crop of tomatoes? I'm thinking of making homemade pizza sauce to freeze for winter pizza making.

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

###

2 comments:

  1. Love dill pickles. I wish my cucumbers did better this summer and we could have did some too. We didn't have enough to pickle.
    Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! Mine did good for a few weeks then all shriveled up and pretty much died. I'm glad I had a short, but good run. It's been a dry summer in my area and I'm not the best about watering the gardening. LOL! ~Angela

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.