5 Reasons to Eat Kidney Beans

Kidney beans! Photo: Morguefile
They're a staple in chili, the colorful part of a three-bean salad and loved by vegetarians everywhere. Kidney beans!

But, why should you starting eating more of them? Well, here's five good reasons!
  1. Kidney beans are high in fiber, which  means they can prevent blood sugar levels from spiking too quickly after a meal. This is important for diabetics and those with hypoglycemia.
  2. Mix kidney beans with rice to create a complete protein. This is important if you're a vegetarian or eating a meatless meal.
  3. Kidney beans contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. This means they keep you regular and help clear cholesterol out of your system. Kidney beans can lessen the symptoms of irritable bowl syndrome.
  4. Kidney beans are rich in magnesium and folate, which are important for heart health.
  5. Kidney beans are fat-free and low in calories. So, eat up!
Source: The World's Healthiest Foods

I enjoy using seasoned kidney beans in lieu of ground beef when making tacos or chili! When do you eat kidney beans?

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

###

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. We're adding kidney beans to stew tonight. I love them. Good advice about adding them to rice--Rice 'n peas, Carebean style.
    Francene.
    A - Z Challenge
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Yes, I love a good batch of beans and rice. A friend used to make it with a secret blend of spices that I have never been able to duplicate. Mmmm! ~Angela

      Delete
  2. I usually substitute Kidney beans with Aduki beans in chili, but I certainly don't mind using kidneys when I don't have the others. Great reasons to eat 'em!

    Happy K Day!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I haven't heard of Aduki beans. I will have to look those up! Thanks! ~Angela

      Delete
  3. I love kidney beans and make an excellent vegan chili using both white and red varieties. Of course it's not gluten free so I don't get to make it anymore....

    Gonna have to try them with rice some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Crystal, What do you put in your vegan chili that isn't gluten-free? If you use a pre-made spice packet, just mix up your own blend. Otherwise beans, tomatoes, onions, veggies, etc. are all GF, so you should be safe! ~Angela

      Delete
  4. M a non vegetarian but I kidney beans even if they r not my fav due to the reasons mentioned by u
    Good to see u posting many posts on healthy foods :)
    Fellow a to zer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat them in chili, in soups, and in cold bean salads with vinaigrettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds about like me! Oh I love a good three bean salad!! YUM! ~Angela

      Delete
  6. I had no idea Kidney Beans did all that! Bonus is I actually like Kidney Beans. Thanks for the info.
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat them in chili and in salads--love 'em.
    Jagoda at http://www.conflicttango.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sound like a very healthy substitute, I wish they were yummy. I'm really not a fan, I even make chili without them, which I know, isn't really chili. Perhaps I should give them another try...

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever tried soaking them yourself? Sometimes the canned kidney beans are too salty/mushy. ~Angela

      Delete
  9. Yum! I love beans of all varieties. I tend to quit eating them, though, when summer hits here in Texas. Your post made me think that there must be some salads I could eat them in when it turns hot.

    ~Tui, visiting from #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Try a coll three bean salad made with a tangy vinaigrette dressing. It's a great side dish to go with BBQ! ~Angela

      Delete
  10. I love kidney beans and really should eat them more often. I like them in chili and soups and I also just like them plain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not big on eating them plain, but I love them in soups, chili and salads! ~Angela

      Delete
  11. I'm not a huge bean fan...I can eat them...but they're not one of my favorites. I should eat more, though, and your information makes them look a bit better...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to hide them! Tuck them in soups, stews, and even blend them to make a yummy bean dip for chips!! ~Angela

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.