Holy Guacamole! That's a Lot of Produce for $15

It's no surprise that a good chunk of my whole foods diet comes from fresh fruits and vegetables. So you can imagine my excitement when I found out Bountiful Baskets opened a pick-up site in my neighborhood. I think I signed up within 30 seconds of the announcement.

What's this fresh produce program all about?
If you haven't heard about Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op (BBFC), they're a volunteer-run, grassroots organization working to get fresh healthy food to you! The program offers whole fruits, vegetables, artisans breads, organic produce and other surprise goodies for a modest contribution. Conventional baskets are $15, while an organic option is $25.

Want to learn more? Check out the BBFC website for more details and to learn how to sign up.

What's in the basket?
Here's the good part. Take a peek below at what I received in my first basket. Mind you, the cost was just $15 for all of this fresh goodness. (Plus a $3 first timer basket fee and $5.50 shipping fee to cover fuel expenses.)
  • 7 bananas
  • 6 oz. blueberries
  • 1 lb. of strawberries
  • 8 nectarines
  • 1 bunch of celery
  • 5 limes
  • 10 green apples
  • 7 Roma tomatoes
  • 3 red bell peppers
  • 8 red potatoes
  • 4 long green peppers - Poblano peppers?
  • 2 spaghetti squashes
I'm estimating this amount of fresh vegetables and fruits would have cost at least $40 if purchased at the grocery store. But by participating in a co-op, I'm able to get rock bottom prices on healthy food. Nice!

Have you ever participated in Bountiful Baskets or a similar food co-op program? Tell me about your experiences in the comments below.

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or suggestion.