Gluten-Free Eggplant Lasagna Bites

The first thing to ripen in my garden this summer was a big purple eggplant.

I snipped it from the vine and wondered what the heck to do with it. Then I spotted another tucked under the bushy leaves and decided I had to think of a recipe, and fast!

So, I came up with noodle-less eggplant lasagna bites. They're vegetarian, gluten-free, gooey (that's what matters right?) and delicious. And I promise; The eggplant doesn't have a spongy texture. Let's cook!

Gluten-Free Eggplant Lasagna Bites  

Servings: 3 at approximately 300 calories per serving.
  • 2 small fresh eggplants
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups red pasta sauce
  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Fresh basil for a garnish
  1. Wash and slice the eggplants into 1/4-inch thick disks. You'll need 9 disks total to fill the baking dish.
  2. Rub each slice (front and back) with extra virgin olive oil. Place them in a hot grill pan and brown them on each side. This removes excess moisture and that unsavory spongy texture.
  3. Place 1 cup of pasta sauce on the bottom of an 8x8 or 9x9 square baking dish. Place one layer of the eggplant slices in the bottom of the pan. You should be able to make three rows, three slices each.
  4. Place a dollop of cottage cheese or ricotta cheese on the top of each eggplant slice. I used Kraft Simply Low Fat 2% Cottage Cheese because it's gluten free and what I had on hand.
  5. Scoop a spoon of the pasta sauce over each eggplant slice. Now sprinkle the top of the pan with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
  6. Bake the eggplant lasagna bites in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese gets golden in a few spots. After it cools for a few minutes, sprinkle the top with fresh basil. (I used lemon basil and it was delicious!)
I enjoyed three eggplant slices as an entree with a large fresh salad. I think this recipe would also be good served over a small pile of pasta (cheese ravioli or penne!) or sweet jasmine rice.

So, how do you like to prepare eggplant? I have a few more purple beauties about to ripen and I need ideas -- quick!

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Angela. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'll have to bookmark it for future use. I like to slice the eggplant, then dip it in some egg, bread it and then fry it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne, That sounds simple and tasty! I'll try that with my next few! ~Angela

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.