Goodnight, Garden. Hello, Winter!

My Iowa garden during winter.
Last week I put the garden to bed for the winter.

I removed the withered foliage and piled the stepping stones in the corner. Now the soil will rest and enjoy natural mulch from decomposing fall leaves and a long winter drink from the upcoming snowfall.

Next spring the garden will get rewarded with a fresh till and new seedlings to nourish.

I'm going to miss my summer garden. So, I've been brainstorming ways to maintain my healthy whole foods living lifestyle when fresh, locally grown produce is at a minimum in Iowa.

3 Ways to Eat Healthy During Winter

  1. Enjoy garden goodies from the freezer. I have several containers of homemade applesauce and bags of frozen tomatoes ready to go.
  2. Buy more fresh frozen fruits and vegetables than canned varieties to avoid added sugar and salt.
  3. Shop at the local meat market which offers some locally grown greenhouse produce and fresh cheese during winter.
How do you make healthy eating decisions during the frozen winter months? Tell me in the comments below!

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or suggestion.