Smoothie Basics: Easy as 1-2-3!

Smoothie! Photo: SXC.HU
I think my jaw dropped when a friend asked me how to make a smoothie. Really? Doesn't everyone know how to do this?

I guess since I make them almost daily I take the basics for granted. She mentioned putting a bunch of fruit in a blender, but it just didn't work. Well... no.

OK, so here's a basic 1-2-3 equation for making a great smoothie!

1 - You need a liquid. I like to use 100% fruit juice, homemade juicer juice, soy milk, almond milk or rice milk. Regular old cow milk is fine too. For one smoothie, start with 1 cup of liquid in the blender.

2 - Add frozen fruit. Why frozen? This gives the smoothie a cold, creamy texture without using ice cubes. Ice simply waters down the smoothie and doesn't add any nutritional value. I like to use strawberries, blueberries, peaches, bananas, mango, pineapple or raspberries. Add 2 cups of frozen fruit to the blender for one smoothie.

3 - Toss in extras. Now add some nuts, milled flax seed, honey, shredded coconut or whatever your want to give the smoothie a little extra flavor or nutritional boost. Limit this to 1-2 tablespoons.

Blend and taste! If it's too thick, add a little more liquid and blend again. That's it!

What do you like to toss in your smoothies? A few of my favorites are a Chocolate-Covered Banana Smoothie and a blend of several tropical fruits (pineapple, coconut, mandarin oranges and mango).

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

###

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this fabulous post---only a few days ago, I had to call our daughter and ask how to make a smoothie!!! They drink them all the time, actually I think we'll have them often over the next couple of warm months too!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the perfect summer breakfast or treat! Have a great holiday weekend! ~Angela

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh I love smoothies. But I never have them anymore since my 'rocket blender' died. It was so much easier than using a normal blender. :P

    I need to buy another rocket blender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those blenders too! I use both a traditional blender and the little handy "bullet" thing too. I like the individual serving option with the smaller ones! ~Angela

      Delete
  3. I wish I could send you some peaches from my trees Angela. They are so good in a smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds wonderful!! I have been gobbling down white-flesh peaches the past few weeks. They're readily available here in the Midwest at the grocery stores (not locally raised though, of course. Boo....) But, they are soooo yummy! ~Angela

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.