When the hubby mentioned it to me I thought it'd be fun to try. I'm always looking for ways to be healthier and it might be a good thing to learn more about portion control. Well, I've learned about portions and so much more.
Here's 17 insights and thoughts since I started using the app.
- Spices (such as ground cinnamon and garlic powder) do contain calories and should be logged.
- Choose portions based on your needs, not what a food package says you should eat.
- I feel guilty if I go over my daily allotment of calories and try to be better the next day.
- Having friends to "like" your health achievement updates on the app is wonderful!
- I've never eaten one portion of pasta in my life. I want a big bowl or none at all.
- Celery does indeed have calories, contrary to popular dieting myths.
- Olive oil is a healthy unsaturated fat but it's high in calories. Use it wisely.
- I don't get enough sodium, potassium, or protein most days. I'm working to improve that.
- I find myself snacking less since I have to be honest and log it.
- I make everything I put on my plate count and strive to eat more nutritionally balanced meals.
- I'm happy to see restaurant food and popular recipes are included in the food search feature.
- Why is peanut butter and cashew butter so high in calories?
- I love being able to track my daily vitamin and mineral consumption.
- I feel proud each time I log exercise or physical activities, like mowing the lawn.
- I can enjoy cake -- in moderation -- and still meet my daily health goals.
- Alcoholic beverages and cheese have more calories than I realized.
- A half cup portion is not very big. I've been eating too much of most foods.
Do you use My Fitness Pal? What feature or information has surprised you most since you started using it? Tell me in the comments below.
Until Next Time,
Whole Foods Living