5 Minute Spring in Winter Salad

Spring-in-Winter Salad. Photo: Angela Tague
I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can start digging around in the garden. So, lately I've been bulking up on fresh, raw produce to soothe my "I wish it were spring" cravings.

One of my favorite salad bases to experiment with is cabbage. Well, actually those bags of pre-cut cabbage slaw. They usually contain shredded red or green cabbage and shaved carrots. As a bonus, these are usually quite inexpensive during the winter in my neck of the woods.

Yesterday I whipped up a zesty salad that instantly made me think of warmer weather. Try this 5-minute cabbage salad as a side dish with dinner tonight!

Spring-in-Winter Salad
  • 1/2 bag of cabbage-based cole slaw mix
  • 1 big apple
  • 2 limes
  • 1 cup salted almonds
    Photo: Angela Tague
  1. Pour approximately 1/2 of the bag of cabbage-based cole slaw mix into a large mixing bowl.
  2. Wash the apple and limes. I like to use a bright red apple such as Fuji, Braeburn or Jazz. Chop the apple into bite-size cubes. Place them on top of the cabbage mix. 
  3. Slice the two limes in half and squeeze the fresh juice over the apples. This helps prevent browning and adds the zesty spring flavor to this salad.
  4. Use a small food chopper or food processor to chop the salted almonds. Then, sprinkle them on top of the apples. Use a pair of tongs to toss and mix the salad. That's it!
If you're making this salad for a holiday celebration, try using two small apples: one red and one green. You can also add dried cranberries or raisins to this salad for an extra touch of sweetness.

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

PS: Visit me on Twitter to read more articles about health and nutrition!

###

6 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds positively wonderful. I've got fresh cabbage and carrots growing in the yard. I may just have to make some of this up for the weekend! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I am envious of your garden. You must live in the south! (I'm in the midwest!)Enjoy! :) ~Angela

      Delete
  2. Simple and easy. Just my style. I'll definitely try this one out. Thanks!

    I'm in New England. Still have a good 6" of snow in my backyard. :( Spring can't come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be simple and easy for me to tackle it! Enjoy! ~Angela

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! It didn't last long! I polished it off in 3 servings! YUM! ~Angela

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.