9 Ways to Use Fresh Lemons

Fresh lemons! Photo: SXC
I have a tendency to pick produce that is on sale during my grocery runs. Sometimes I end up with a drawer full of randomness--which usually includes a few lemons.

Are you looking for ways to use up a lemon or two before it shrivels and lands in the garbage can? Try these ideas!

9 Ways to Use Lemon

  1. Slice a lemon and add it to the top of baked lemon-pepper chicken breasts.
  2. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over grilled asparagus. (This comes from a WFL reader tip. Thanks!)
  3. Make homemade lemonade.
  4. Add peeled lemon to your next juicing adventure. I like lemon blended with apple and carrot juice.
  5. Whisk fresh squeezed lemon juice with olive oil for a tangy, healthy salad dressing.
  6. Squeeze lemon juice into a spray bottle. Add equal amounts of white vinegar and water to make a homemade sanitizing spray for the kitchen.
  7. Make a lemon meringue pie from scratch. Everyone has to do this at least once in a lifetime!
  8. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over apple wedges to keep them from browning in a lunch bag.
  9. Add lemon juice to a cup of hot tea.
How do you use lemons around the kitchen or house?

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

PS: Are you just finding this blog today? Well, you should check out what's been going on this month! I've been busy with the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. Poke around my little corner of the web to see what I've been cookin' up!


###

14 comments:

  1. Great tips for using lemons. My dieting grandmother used to eat salad lunches of grated carrot and apple with the juice of a lemon and a sprinkle of sugar.
    Francene.
    A - Z Challenge
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francene, Oh, that salad sounds so fresh and healthy. I bet I'd like it too because I like those three ingredients juiced together. Yum! ~Angela

      Delete
  2. I kid you not when I say that, just this morning, I was talking to my wife about what we should do with all the lemons we have.

    We had bought a couple and on our last produce run, they gave us a bag of them because we spent so much money (which actually wasn't -that- much...around $30.00 and got a ton of stuff).

    I like your ideas, especially the sanitizer spray.

    What we're also doing is cutting some of them up and leaving them in a bowl in our fridge, next to our water, so we can drop a wedge in our glass as we fill them.

    Great ideas!

    Left and Write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Mark! That is tooo funny! I love adding lemon wedges to water too, but I always forget to do it. I should pre-cut them too! ~Angela

      Delete
  3. For whiter nails. Twist your finger in a half of a lemon let dry for 5 to 10 minutes before washing your hands.
    That's one of my favorite lemon tips.
    I love LEMONS!! Just smelling them wakes me up!
    Connie
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'll have to try that! Thanks for the beauty tip! ~Angela

      Delete
  4. Lemons are supposed to be good for lightening up dark skin spots too. Or so I've heard.

    I love lemon anything. They just smell clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that too! I'd be nervous about putting something so acidic directly on my face though. Maybe on my hands....but no dark spots yet, thank goodness! ~Angela

      Delete
  5. I am a lemon-holic! Love them on chicken, on vegetables, in lemonade, and my favorite is to take a big glass of seltzer water or club soda and squeeze the juice of half of a very large lemon into it...no sugar or anything else. It's so refreshing and of course sour lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lemons! I used to always order them with water at a restaurant, but any more I prefer limes for that.
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am never without lemons in my fruit bowl. I use them in my water. I marinate with them, I make sauces with them, I use them in salad dressings. oh Angela I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! In the Midwest it's a little tougher to keep them on hand. They're usually $1 for one lemon or more during the winter! LOL! But I stock up when they go on sale! ~Angela

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.