Food Adventures: My First Pummelo

Tangelo, Pummelo & Pear. Photo by Angela Tague
I enjoy trying new foods. Originally I planned to profile a new food for each day of the A to Z Challenge, but decided that during late winter in Iowa it wouldn't be too easy to find exotic produce at a reasonable price.

Then it happened; I stumbled upon what looked like a giant grapefruit at the grocery store.

It's called a pummelo and after a little research I found out it's the largest citrus fruit in the world. It can reach a whopping 12-inches in diameter. Pummelos are low in calories, fat free and rich in Vitamin C.

After I peeled away the 3/4-inch thick, spongy yellow skin, the inside of the fruit resembled a juicy grapefruit covered in a thick layer of white pith. The fruit has segments and pretty pink flesh. The flavor reminded me of a mild, sweet grapefruit that didn't need a sprinkle of sugar to taste good. Delicious!

Have you ever had a pummelo?

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

###

20 comments:

  1. No, I haven't, but I think I'll have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is tasty! I like that I didn't have to add sugar to make it sweet enough! ~Angela

      Delete
  2. I've never even heard of a pummelo...something I'll have to keep an eye out for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen one of these! I can't wait to try one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it! It was surprisingly mild and not tart at all! ~Angela

      Delete
  4. Never heard of it but I know I would like it. I love all fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried pummelo. I found it OK. I don't think I've buy one again though. I think it was too bland for me.
    My taste buds like things tart, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love puckery-tart fruits then this isn't for you! The pummelo is very mild--or bland! But I think it would be good in a fruit salad with a variety of flavors! ~Angela

      Delete
  6. I haven't even heard of one! But if it has a citrusy flavour, I would probably love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wondered about them. I'll to try one. Thanks for the fruit review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! They're yummy, but take quite awhile to peel! The skin is soooo thick! ~Angela

      Delete
  8. I've not tried a pummelo, but you've made me curious. I love trying new foods and have been working my way through all the interesting squash at our local Asian grocery store.

    Tui, from A to Z
    Twitter: @mentalmosaic
    blog: Tui Snider's Texas, Travel, Photos & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I love your squash idea!! That's how you can easily find a new favorite food! ~Angela

      Delete
  9. Never heard of them. But they look and sound awesome! Definitely gonna keep my eye out for them so I can try one myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty tasty! But they do take a long time to peel and prep! ~Angela

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure. I know I've heard of them. I think I may have tried one once at a friend's house. I love trying new foods.

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Being adventuresome with food is how you find the good stuff! ~Angela

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.