7 Guilt-Free Munchies for Snack Time

Nuts! Photo: SXC
I have the hardest time sticking to a healthy diet when I've got the munchies. I tend to grab whatever is close without thinking about how good (or bad!) it really is for me.

Over the weekend I fell off the healthy-eating cart at a birthday party and ate several handfuls of potato chips. They were greasy, salty--and delicious. Darn it.

OK, to keep me on track, and give you a few ideas, here's seven munchies that won't make you feel guilty later. Remember, the key to any snack is also moderation!
  1. Roasted, unsalted nuts. My favorites are almonds and pistachios.
  2. A sliced apple topped with natural peanut or almond butter.
  3. A banana smoothie. Blend frozen banana slices and soy milk in the blender and sip!
  4. Dried fruits processed without sugar. Try raisins, cranberries, papaya or banana chips.
  5. A hard-boiled egg.
  6. Low-sodium string cheese. Check out the new, weird cheddar/mozzarella twists!
  7. Whole-grain pita chips and hummus.
What are your go-to munchies?

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

###

16 comments:

  1. Angela, this blog always makes me hungry..in a good way! Great healthy snack ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good deal! Hopefully then you grab for a healthy snack! :) ~Angela

      Delete
  2. Walnuts, cashews, and hard boiled eggs are my go to snacks these days :)

    We also do a lot of strawberry/banana smoothies.

    Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget about walnuts! I love them too!! Thanks for dropping by! ~Angela

      Delete
  3. My snacking of late tends toward uncooked almonds, strawberries, Fuji apples, celery slices, Red and green bell peppers. I've also had some avocado slices--found a good deal on them--and sliced cukes. Been trying to enjoy a bouquet of colors.

    I have to be careful with what I eat and processed foods or whole grain (which don't like me) are out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Eating a rainbow of colors is the best way to get a variety of vitamins and nutrients!! :) ~Angela

      Delete
  4. I just discovered freeze-dried peas. They satisfy the need for crunch, they're naturally a bit sweet and, best of all, they're just peas. Nothing added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! You know I used to eat those years ago. I'll have to look them up again! I liked using them as a salad topper in lieu of croutons! Thanks for the tip! ~Angela

      Delete
  5. Interesting list, but I would have to say soy milk would not be on my healthy choice list. My body does not like it at all!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soy milk is definitely an item to be debated. It's not right for everyone. You can sub almond milk or rice milk in smoothies too! ~Angela

      Delete
  6. When I get that snacky feeling I always grab a few nuts. Helps me every time. But I did have a handful of Lay's the other night and they were delicious! I often find I only need a taste, not a huge pile of whatever it is I'm craving. One taste, and the craving is gone. This works way better for me than depriving myself and then having to deal with a whole bunch of nasty feelings that come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! A handful of almonds usually works for me too. But those darn Lay's...ugh! If I can put them away, I can restrain myself. But if they are perched in front of me all night, I'm weak! ~Angela

      Delete
  7. Ooo the freeze dried peas are awesome! I need to get some more of them too. I also like nuts and veggies as snacks, as well as the healthy chip options with hummus. It can be hard to behave when the munchies hit! Also love to eat olives and cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your list sounds pretty healthy to me! Keep it up! ~Angela

      Delete
  8. Banana smoothies are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.