What the Heck is in Horseradish Sauce?

Raw horseradish. Pretty ugly, isn't it? Photo Credit: SXC
As a kid, I loved filling little paper cups with dipping sauces for my french fries at fast food restaurants.

Ketchup. Barbecue. Mustard. Mayonnaise. Horseradish. I really enjoyed them all--and even mixed a few of them together.

My favorite by far was horseradish sauce. Maybe I liked it because it was nicknamed "horsey" sauce and I have a thing for big, lovable equines. I'm not sure.

But, it wasn't until maybe a few years ago that I wondered what horseradish sauce is actually made of.

First of all, horseradish isn't a radish or made of (gasp!) horse. It's a root from the Brassicaceae family of perennials. Cousins of the horseradish include the equally spicy wasabi and flavorful mustard.

To make horseradish sauce, the raw root is washed, peeled and chopped into small pieces. It's then placed in a food processor with vinegar, water and a pinch of salt and blended until a sauce forms.

Do you like horseradish sauce? How do you eat it? I admit, I still like to use it as a french fry dip!

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

###

11 comments:

  1. I love horseradish sauce....especially on roast beef sandwiches!

    It really clears out the sinuses, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's great for stuffy nose days, that's for sure! ~Angela

      Delete
  2. HI, love horseradish sauce. Makes great dipping for vegetables. I have never made it from scratch though. Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made it from scratch either but wouldn't mind trying! I think I'd add a few herbs to make it more of a dressing. Yum! ~Angela

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love horseradish and wasabi. Having grown up in Vancouver I was very well aware of the connection between the two, but I wasn't aware of the connection to mustard (another favorite condiment of mine - three different kinds minimum in my fridge).

    I used to dip my fries in it as well, but I haven't done that for a long time.

    As a side note, Lindt makes a wasabi chocolate bar. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I love horseradish, some mustards -- but just can't get into wasabi. I have tried it a few times, a few ways. I guess I'm just a wimp when it comes to spicy foods!! Thanks for stopping by! ~Angela

      Delete
  5. I love horseradish and love to put it on sandwiches. Never dipped fries in it but I have to try it now. Sounds totally yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like this spicy sauce. Now the next question is, how did it get its horsey name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a funny name for the sauce, I know!!! I'll keep searching and see if I can find out more! LOL! ~Angela

      Delete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.